Thursday, August 28, 2008

T-Shirt Sightings...

So it's an inevitable fact that when a developing country receives loads and loads of donated aid materials (often in the form of used clothing), there will be lots of people walking around wearing items that seem out of place. This fact is especially exacerbated by a language barrier and high illiteracy rates. In my time in Nicaragua, I've seen some side-splitting malapropisms walking down the street. I should have been writing them down, but one never has the pen and paper handy when the time is right.

But then today, just on my way in to work, three different sightings jumped out at me as particularly hilarious. I thought I'd share....

3) A big burly Creole man, hunched over an shining shoes in the park, wearing a MISS SAIGON t-shirt.

2) A great-grandmother in her 90s with a scarf tied over her head, walking with a cane through the market. Her shirt said "Easy" in pink sequins.

1) My personal favorite, a toothless, big-bellied fisherman whose gut stuck out under his University of Michigan t-shirt, as he wiped his brow with an Ohio State ball cap.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love it!